TICKETS

TICKETS
Announcement of Life

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Another Night of Sleep

Depression sometimes floats quickly down a stream as opposed to a swirling golden leaf endlessly twisting in a whirlpool among a rock outcropping. My depression and sadness abated when I challenged my physical therapist into showing me how to climb a flight a stairs. A real flight of stairs - not just the little mock flight they have set-up in their gym. This flight of stairs belonged to the actual hospital with a wide staircase reaching up to the fourth floor. I took on one floor and gained a Mastery Badge. Both Joy and Dave had a "No way!" for me. Yet I know that my manicurist is at the top of a flight of stairs. Motivation is the highest form of vanity.

Then I got to spend from 10:30 until 4:15 in chemotherapy. The chemo nurse often asked, "Are you still okay?" what might happen if I weren't okay? I do know that many people with cancer have all sorts of trouble in all sorts of ways. I just don't fly from that tree. I'm never ill. I still have all of my thin scrawny hair (she said gratefully). And my intestines are awaiting the next meal.

So promptly at 4:15 I'm off in the corridor within the bowels of this huge hospital pushed along by our trusty Brian. The radiation took 12 minutes and Brian returned me to my room where I needed to get ready for a 5:00 PM "Iced Tea Party" in the cafeteria. Two grandchildren from New York and Santa Cruz are visiting. Aly is Paige's youngest and NYC Matt is her oldest. Matt is our HBO whiz kid and Aly just scored a new job as a retail store manager in San Jose. That hour went by fast but we all had a great visit.

Back to my room, exhausted and hungry. Both have been satisfied. I do feel that some candy must be found and that might require a road trip. Translated: wheelchair to gift shop. Since, I am a half day ahead in my blogging I am posting two blogs today just to catch up with myself.

Depression is replaced by exhaustion. Once again, a good nights sleep ought to reframe the day.

1 comment:

  1. Ah yes the wonders of sleep..and it is not even work. Please believe that "Survivors Guilt" is not required for this journey of yours. Any beauty treats are a good way to spend the cancer card. Yes I know all that stuff about wisdom in wrinkles, blah blah blah. Us geezers still have to find a way to look in the mirror every day. Your inner beauty can just as easily shine through manicured nails as garden grunge nails.

    Love to you always

    ReplyDelete